The Mishigami Lodge of the Order of the Arrow recognizes the important part that camping is to the Scouting experience and the benifits that it can have to Scouts. Scouting’s founder, Robert Baden-Powell said that “A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room”. Here are some reasons why camping is important in Scouting:
- Scouts who attend summer camp during their first year have a 300% better chance of being staying in the program.
- Scouts can work on merit badges and other rank requirements while camping. This provides them with opportunities to set goals and achieve them, which helps build self-confidence and self-esteem .
- Summer camp provides Scouts with the opportunity to develop independence, learn new skills, and make new friends.
- Camping provides Scouts with opportunities to develop leadership skills by working in teams and leading others.
- Camping helps Scouts cultivate a love and appreciation of the outdoors and outdoor activities.
- Camping is a fun and exciting experience that provides Scouts with memories that last a lifetime.
The Arrowhead Camping Award was created to promote camping at three levels of Scouting. Click on the level that is appropriate for you and begin your camping adventure.
Cub Scout (Blue Border)
Webelos Scout (Green Border)
Scout BSA (Red Border)
Click the appropriate patch for details page.